Seriously, All Access?...BAN The DB's!

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
rickrushradio

Seriously, All Access?...BAN The DB's!

Post by rickrushradio » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:23 am

Ok, whether you agree or disagree, as a radio professional with close to 40 years in the industry, we, radio pros, come to All Access to look for open positions (Job Openings) and/or to post our availability for potential employers to find personnel (Situations Wanted) and more and more, what I am seeing are these Internet Station (DB) postings for airstaff that are wanting us radio pros to voice track their station, full time, (M-F 4-hour airshifts) part time (Weekend airshifts) for FREE, as, they are commercial-free OR actually are selling local airtime to local sponsors and yet, claim that they are not generating any revenue and therefore, cannot pay anyone for their time or talent...seriously? First of all, as I have experienced, first-hand, that these so-called PD's of these DB's are just college kids OR even high school kids that are just running a "desktop jukebox" with some slick-sounding Jingle packages (that anyone can now order) and are NOT radio professionals OR even employers (no matter how their station sounds or how slick their website looks) and so, my question here is: why is All Access allowing these "kids" post for Job Openings when, clearly, there is no real job-for-pay available, rather, some kid looking to get an A+ on his radio class project assignment...STOP wasting our time and BAN these non-ligit, non-professionals NOW, so that, we, radio professionals, can pursue real open-position opportunities from real broadcast entities. Do you AGREE or DISAGREE?

jdenver

Re: Seriously, All Access?...BAN The DB's!

Post by jdenver » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:28 am

Hello rickrushradio ... I wholeheartedly do disagree with you. As long as those looking to hire talent are transparent about paying or not paying, I'm not going to be the job cop.

There are very few places for those interested in radio to get their start and if it happens to be on creating their own Internet station, who are we to stop them or hinder their entrepreneurial spirit.

And there are those "seasoned pros" who don't mind doing some pro bono work. You shouldn't feel threatened or challenged by the postings.

There is plenty of room for all on the All Access Jobs Board ... just my two-cents worth. -- Joel Denver

rickrushradio

Post by rickrushradio » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:28 am

Well, let me just say, @Joel, that I'm definitely not threatened, at all, by these DB's (internet station) postings, kind of interesting that you'd use those words to kind of try to reverse it back on me but, whatever. It's your site, your own opinion and choices that matter here, to do with it as you please and it's your prerogative to do so and since it seems to do no actual good for anyone, to be hired by any "real" radio employers, I know that, there are other, more relevant, sites, in which, to find great radio opportunities and I think that, I'll just be checking those ones out, for the future. Thanks and I can see myself out.

jdenver

Post by jdenver » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:36 pm

Dear @rickrushradio ...

Sorry you are that upset by my honest response to cause you to leave.

When I got into radio at age 15, I'd have worked for free at any radio station to get some experience.

Sadly, there are less opportunities for those seeking a first on-air job, or any on-air job for veteran radio personalities.

I wish you continued success in your mission to find a job.

Happy Holidays -- Joel Denver

thepulsemontgomery

Post by thepulsemontgomery » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:06 pm

Rickrush you'll be very surprised at how many of these internet based stations are actually owned and operated by Veteran Broadcasters.

For you to spew your hatred at something you can't compete with only shows the younger generation exactly why terrestrial radio continues to be behind the curve.

if i remember correctly, it was people like yourself that cried and moaned about satellite radio, gatekeeping the industry with a blind eye to the future.

zebster

Post by zebster » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:14 am

Oh FFS.
If the gig posted isn't for you, don't apply.
The End.
46 year radio vet, Zeb Norris

cuddzu

Post by cuddzu » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:55 am

This escalated quickly.

Geez

CarsonKellyonWild95

Post by CarsonKellyonWild95 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:34 pm

As someone who was in commercial radio for over 25 years - ten of those full time - I have to agree with Joel Denver's take on the All Access job listing policy. I now provide voice tracking to a well-run internet radio group, and I don't get paid. I do it because it's fun and I still have the skill set to upload great sounding tracks. The owner of the 12-station streaming group is a major market radio veteran and most, but not all of the jocks have worked in terrestrial radio. 8-)